Monday, October 18, 2010

Tale of a King with 4 wives

Once upon a time, there lived a king. There is no need to mention how rich he was, as truly, a king would definately be rich. This king have four wives.

As in most cases, he loved the 4th wife the most. He gave her all the splendor, the most expensive garments, robes, dresses that money can buy, all the finest jewelry on the face of the earth was hers. All the lavish food was at her command at her beckoning. He truly did love her the most.

But you see, this King loves his 3rd wife as well. She was so beautiful and the King loved parading her around and showing her off to the Kings of the other lands. Though the King loves her very much, deep down inside, he was worried that one day, she might leave him to marry others due to her astounding beauty.

The King's 2nd wife was the one that he could find comfort in. She was the one he turned to in times of troubles, when he needed advice and help. She was considerate, caring, patient, ever ready with listening ears and wise words.

What about the 1st wife? She was his most loyal partner. She was there all the time for him, but sadly, the King did not love her.

One day, the King fell gravely ill. He started to wonder who, oh who will accompany him in his dying days.

He beckoned his 4th wife to his side. He said - "My Everdearest, you know I have loved you the most and have given you all that you need in all it's splendor and much more. Will you dear, accompany me in my dying days?" She answered - NO WAY! and went away. The King's heart broke to a million pieces.

Then, he called his 3rd wife to his side asking "My Everlasting Beauty, you know how much I love you, how much we have enjoyed our time in neighbouring lands. Will you dear, accompany me in my dying days?". Her answer came - "NO!!! In you dying days and when you die - I shall remarry in an instant!". The King was devastated. His heart grown cold.

Then he summoned his 2nd wife, asking her if she would accompany him in his dying days. The every considerate wife kept apologizing profusely, over and over again saying "My dear, dear husband, I'm so, so sorry, please forgive me, I don't mean to hurt you, but dear, at the most I can accompany you will be till you grave". The King had no more hope in his heart when even his most considerate wife would not be there for him.

Knowing that he had neglected his 1st wife, the King did not have the courage to summon for his 1st wife. In shame, he knew that she would ridicule him at his death bed. Out of no where, he heard "I will follow you" and a shadowy image of his 1st wife, skinny and battered, came to his sight. His wife said "My dear, dear husband whom I love with all my heart. Do not worry my love, I will follow you whereever you will go". Truly she was his loyal partner. He said to her over and over - my poor poor darling loyal wife - If only I have known.... If only I have known that you are the one, I would feed you more, I would have loved you more... If only I have known...

Who is this King you ask... Can you guess? Well, it is you and I. Really. Don't you believe it?

The 4th wife represents our body. We care for it and we give ourselves the best - the best clothing, the best food, the best watches, the best handbags, the best shoes - anything and everything that's BEST we can afford. But, when we die, our body leaves us and all those matters no more.

The 3rd wife is much akin to our possessions - our latest gadgets, our status, our house, our cars, our accounts, all of which we are truly proud of and we love showing them off to those around us. But when we die, all these will go to another - they immediately "remarry".

The 2nd wife are like our family and friends. They are the most considerate, patient, forgiving, they are the ones we turn to in times of trouble. But when we die, at most, they can only accompany us to the gravehole.

Who then is our 1st wife? Our soul. Our poor malnourished, skinny, battered soul. We often neglect to feed our soul in our communion with Him. Unbeknown to us (or more like known, but neglected acknowledgement by us), our soul follows us everywhere we go. But there is still time to turn things over, so that we set our priorities right. So that we will not have to echo the words of the King - if only I have known.

My 2 handsome Kings - my son and nephew

Note: This tale is an excerpt from Sunday Sermon dated 17th October 2010 - see here for video of the sermon. Click on video sermons on the title "If only I have known".

No comments:

Post a Comment