Thursday, October 28, 2010

Moist Coconut Cake

Another "moist"?? I can hear you say it. Really. I can :)

I can across this recipe and it looked very interesting to me. Wondered how prominent the coconut would be in the cake. So decided to give it a try. Now, it's a well known fact that it's hard to find buttermilk in Kuching. Just impossible. While this recipe does not require buttermilk, it called for sour cream. When I set my heart on this recipe, I didn't know sour cream is another "hard-to find-in-Kuching" item. But it was. Kept a look out for several weeks and one sweet evening, just as I was about to give up, and while just strolling in a supermarket (yes, I like to stroll in supermarkets!), this fella shouted my name. He was the only tub left - as if he was reserved for me. I gladly picked him up and rushed home to bake the long awaited cake.




The verdict? The cake was indeed moist - the texture, somehow reminded me of something - but I couldn't recall even for days after. But one day it clicked that the texture was quite like the local Bingka Ubi Kayu. It was dense, but in a rather lovely way. One thing I was disappointed about was how little did the coconut stand out. I would have wanted more coconut taste, but it was mild in this cake. The lovely coconut smell didn't really come up as well - very much the opposite of this - where you would immediately be surrounded by heavenly coconuty aroma. Too bad. Given a chance (when I run out of things to bake), I might bake this cake again. But I will put in more coconut and see if the smell comes up.

8 comments:

  1. haha. been looking for buttermilk and sour cream around kk for a while now, nope, havent seen them. I usually subtituted with non flvoured yogurt.

    wahhh..cant wait for baking2 n makan2 dis nov. huhuh

    ReplyDelete
  2. huh siapa komen di atas tu dy???PONG you bake too???cepat buat order of buttermilk kalau mo...! i go buy and bring to kuching!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kahkah, I bake muffins and muffins only. ada try bikin biscuits, tapi sungguh leceh, so I stick to muffins saja. heheh, jom baking2 kita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pong - somehow i find that the cinnamon rolls i baked, the texture better when using plain yogurt compared to buttermilk - so we're actually not missing on much (yes, I got 2x600ml boxes of buttermilk from Merlinda recently) :) Ko pandai buat muffin kenny rogers kah pong? Mintak ajar!!!

    Jane - best best everyone into baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i oso muffins only..kasi masuk byk2 almond sama choc chips..i like!!! fread ada suruh guna yogurt i haven't try..! (i come to realise why i am fat now...:P) stress=eat+eat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hiakhiak... jane... Stressed spelt backwards = desserts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi...been hunting like mad for sour cream in Kuching too...and cornmeal...sedih la...anyway, a lil tip on buttermilk if you don't have any..:)
    http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/breakfastbrunch/homemade-buttermilk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Eve910... ya... so sedih cannot get those thing easily in Kuching... But I think I saw lotsa sour cream at Choice Premier. The selection there better than Choice Daily. Cornmeal... haven't seen any... I'll let you know when I see some!

    Thanks for the tip on buttermilk!

    ReplyDelete