Friday, August 27, 2010

The lure of cinnamon...

Cinnamon is a spice obtained from the inner bark of several trees from the genus Cinnamomum which includes all species of Evergreen trees - source: Wikipedia

I do not know when my love for cinnamon started. But I am totally head over heels with this magic spice. It literally turns everything yummylicious. I finally found some plain yogurt last night and remembering the promise made to my Loyal Guinea Pigs in the office, I grabbed 2 big tubs and hurried home to bake these babies.


Don't they look divine??? But look can be deceiving. Hehe... The first version I made was a "salty" one, where I spread butter on the rolls after they come out from the oven. But this time, I wanted to try the "sweet" version, so followed the recipe to a T. While the buns were still good, it was a tad too sweet for me. I prefered the salty version. These are still heavenly when fresh out of the oven though ;) Made 2 batches, one for the family and one for the office (each recipe yields only about 8 rolls). It's a bit sad that I can't bring them in warm. Any idea on how to transport freshly baked goods?? :(

Two nights ago while studying for his exam, Noel suddenly requested for jelly. Not just any jelly, he wanted "green & white jelly". Cracking my head, I wondered what that was. In the end I thought, I'll just go make half coconut milk jellies for him. These were produced :)


The white layer (with coconut milk) is not exactly white because I hastely poured in the white on top of the green layer and it broke, so the green seeped into the white layer :( Oh well, these are yumm as well, nice and cool, slipping down the throat on hot days and nights like the ones we're experiencing! Most importantly, Noel loved them - it's exactly what he wanted :)
Right, so here we are at the end of the week again. Amazing how fast time flies. Can't wait for the Merdeka break and the Raya break, though being cheated out of so many public holidays this year since they fall on Saturdays! Oh well, there's always next year right? :) Have a great weekend peeps!!

9 comments:

  1. i really missed having jelly like that..my mom use to make when CNY....!she wud be furious if the santan breaks the green hehehe...

    oh nos..i got to learn to love cinnamon than..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya ya... so bikin meradang the green layer pecah!!! but still yummy nonetheless ;) simple but hard coz it's layering kan? that's why i stick to 2 layers jak (ooopppsss... ketara pemalas :P)

    Heheheh... pelan2 sure can love cinnamon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you like add meat to the part nya ada cinamon that...wakakaka..!! make salty cinamon role with sikit2 meat...yummy!!!!!!!!! aduh terus lapar

    ReplyDelete
  4. eei lama oredi tidak makan jelly. hmm, wanna try do this later. i tot of looking for recipe yang combine jelly with cake, but dunno whether it'll taste nice or not..hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo...i owe u big time on the buttermilk!!! hahahahah dont worry i ingat, but i havent got the time to go get it yet. sorry yah fren.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe... yummy this jelly.. the santan layer makes it oh-so-rich. Did you manage to buat?

    Cake and jelly - you know that cake called busy day cake? Bake a butter cake then poke holes all over and tuang jelly in the holes and on top. Amy (Bini Eric) thought me this cake - it's still my fav busy day cake till today - try it. Cake + jelly :)

    Don't worry re the buttermilk... I think i have enough cinnamon rolls for now (but kasihan my dad, he simpan one one so he can makan with it when breaking fast) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wohoo...bah MERLINDA LAWRENCE... kasi bake lah byk2 then call me to have tea...!! kihkihkih

    ReplyDelete
  8. jneg: hahhaha full name lagi tu..
    ok ok dont worry will bake and bring it when we do gathering.

    dy: ur description oso makes me gatal tangan wan to do oredi. but hehehhe lambat oredi, nanti lah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe... ya ya... wajib bake for gathering... oreo cheesecake? choc brownies??? YUMMMM... mau jugak lah ni join gathering :)

    It's very easy that mel... but not jelly yang agar2 tau... jelly yang Jell-o punya style. Poke the holes using chopstick. Make sure your butter cake not too moist, coz the cake will absorb the jelly trus jadi maha lembik if it's the moist moist type :)

    ReplyDelete