Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Double Roti

Good day peeps!



For a change, it's bright and sunny this morning, which makes it easier to get up from bed! I hate those days when you wake up and it's dark and rainy, you curl back into your blanket to continue your Zzzzzzzz and suddenly you realise it's a working day!! Don't we all hate it?


Last night, I was planning to bake some cinnamon rolls, but buttermilk aside, I can't even get plain yogurt, even after searching at 3 supermarkets!! Tsk tsk!!! Once again, perils of living in Sarawak (don't get me wrong, I'm mighty glad to be calling this place home for the time being). Since I couldn't have cinnamon rolls for breakie, I thought might as well make some sandwiches... then I thought - well, I might as well make sandwich for lunch for the rest of the week and blog about it (but it's actually due to having to buy lettuce in a big qty - making sandwich every single day will help deplete them!)

I'm not sure when my love for sandwich started... but I love love LOVE the simplicity and feeling healthy after eating, since there's lots of veg inside (and small amount of carb + protein). I think we Asians are not too used to having sandwiches for lunch, but I'm telling you, it's GREAT! Give it a try mates!

So here we go... the first sandwich of the week is... Smoked Turkey Ham sandwich with Baby Roma Tomato (you can substitude the turkey with any kind of cold meat you can get your hands on)



There's one Mita bakery in Kuching (the one near Choice Daily) that sells really yummm wholemeal bread and their slices are very thick as well! So I grabbed some of those, spread butter on both slices, heap with TONNES of lettuce, put a slice of Smoked Turkey Ham, spread some mayo and heap on MORE lettuce and sandwice it together! I normally would put the tomatoes in as well, but then I couldn't find large tomatoes, so I'm serving it on the side for today. These roma tomato babies are SO amazing!! It literally pops once you bite into it and all the yumminess (juice and crunch of a tomato) just fills your mouth! Even Noel who dislikes tomatoes ate 3 on it's own last night - big accomplishment for him!

Here's a tip when you're making sanwiches - make sure you spread butter on every single mililiter of the bread. This will be your waterproof layer that will prevent your sandwich from becoming soggy. You don't have to trust me, but you've got to trust Jamie Oliver - I got this tip from him in one of his cook books where he talks about packing lunch for school children and he gave this tip.

So that settles our lunch for today! Stay tune for tomorrow's Double Roti!


Oh, I got this from Wikipedia, thus the title :) - when the British first introduced the sandwich in India, the Indians called them double roti ( डब्ल रोटी ).

4 comments:

  1. u made me salivate...:P..now that you can make them waterproof can you please sent to me tomorow morning..!! i have yet to hunt down buttermilk for you...will send if got anyone goin to kuching...!!

    love ur blogs entree about food...inspirasi bagi perut aku...!! :P
    dy cari how to make shortbread...!!(i think it's call that)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... got bah this lady found buttermilk near her house... we're thinking of transporting it via courier... sik tauk akan berjaya sik (hint hint merl!) hehehe...

    Mark and Spencer has the best best BEST shortbreads! Got some from England (curtesy of kawan yang bermestautin there) last Christmas... It was sooooo... good! I need to go look for... the difference between cookies and shortbread ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. shortbread cookies hehehe...weird kan..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this on wiki... which indicated the difference :)

    Shortbread is a type of unleavened biscuit (cookie) which is traditionally made from one part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts oatmeal flour.

    Cookies - In the United States and Canada, a cookie is a small, flat-baked treat, usually containing fat, flour, eggs and sugar.

    ReplyDelete