Monday, July 5, 2010

Deep Craving... Satisfied

The rolls right before going in the oven
"Dad, see this oven - I think rosak - not hot anymore". That's me, being confident that my oven has given up on me. Who knows... actually, it's me being dumb!
Haha... I intended to switch off the rice cooker, who knows my fat fingers switched off the oven instead! All that in the middle of baking my cinnamon rolls!
So, anyway, I have been DYING for freshly baked, warm, right from the oven cinnamon rolls... not those like what can be bought St. Cinnamon but more like simple homemade ones... Anyway, as it is working with anything with yeast, the proofing (i.e. waiting to make it double in size), kindda put off the idea of waking up early on Saturdays to bake this. So, needless to say, I was really happy, to come across this and set up to bake them last Saturday.
However, sadly, buttermilk is almost unheard off in Kuching (I'm not sure about our West counterparts), so again, with the beauty of Google, I substitute the buttermilk with plain yogurt.
Another change I made to her recipe was that goopy sugar glaze outside... I reckon I'm more of a salty kind of person, so I simply put a good dallop of butter on top of the right-out-of-the-oven-roll and again, spread it to every nook and crany I could find :) The result? Wonderfully golden salty-ish rolls!
Nothing, absolutely NOTHING can compare to the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls baking in the oven... I'm telling you, it's heavenly.... [time to take a deep breathe to see if you can smell a hint of cinnamon from around you :)]. Anyway... as Kendra said in her blog, these beauties were made from scratch, baked and eaten - all within ONE HOUR! The result is densed heavy rolls, which satisfied that cinnamon monster in me - oh, so YUMMMMMM!!!!

Noel, who is not a fan of cinnamon even ate one whole big piece by himself (mummy chest puffs out with pride) and even specifically asked for one for Sunday supper + one for school today.



The rolls right after coming out from the oven & glazed

As you can see, the recipe is another keeper - for the lack of need for a mixer, for it's simplicity and for it's yummy-ness... and there's not too many pieces in a recipe, so you keep wanting for more, thus making you make more, thus honning your skills and making you a better baker! What better chain reaction can you ask for? :) So yeah, if you have something to bake this in, please, by all means, make some this weekend and enjoy :)

Blessed Monday people!

5 comments:

  1. Great!!! I'll try this soon:)

    baking season is back hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yes, by all means... please do give it a try!!! and try to get buttermilk over at your end... it should be even yummy-er :)

    Best ni... no need mixer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... this looks YUMMY (AGAIN the guinea PIG is here). New recipe?? Can I order from you? I juz wan the freshly bake cinnamon buns... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steph :) Wait in this week or next... there should be some available for my loyal guinea pigs :)... nyum nyum :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... thinking again... my only prob will be... how to bring this to u guys in "warm" state :( as that's the best state for it to be. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete