Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Goodness for the eyes

This was the 1st project I did on Monday night :)

I simply simply dislike it when there's "grating" called in a recipe. Even if it's grating soft cheese! So though my mom and I had wanted to bake carrot cakes for ages, we've not gone about doing it because it involves grating the hard carrots (recipes normally will call for more than one). But, since The Bug hit me really hard plus the exam bug, it is very typical for me to undertake something I will not normally do. Something hard. Something impossible. Something that requires sweat and blood. OK, okay... not to that extend :)

But all the hard work put into grating the carrot did not go to waste. Found the recipe here and gave it a go. The cake turns out so wonderfully soft, it breaks upon your touch. It's so so SO simple to make (apart from the grating). All you need to do is mix everything till smooth (I don't think you even need a mixer for this). It doesn't even require taking out the butter to soften! All you need is corn oil. It calls for brown sugar as well, which gives it a distinct taste and flavour.

When you bite into it, you're biting into a heavenly mixture of carrot, walnuts and blackcurrent (or raisin). The one thing that I might change for this will be to add on some cinnamon powder. I bet it will smell and taste heavenly!

This will definately not be the last time I'm baking this. Give it a go if you want to have some exercise for the upper arm :)

Here you have it - Soft Carrot Cake. This picture was taking using my dad's Lumix as the images taken with my phone were really hideous. I now so miss having a real camera (a point and go camera will be good enough. I don't need DSLR [not at the moment I don't! haha])

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dy, So glad that your dad loved this cake. I totally agree with you, adding cinnamon powder will gives extra flavor in this cake.
    Happy Baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anncoo, thanks for dropping by my humble home :) I'm going to try this again sometime this week (with cinnamon YEAY!). Can't believe how much dad likes them. Last night I offered him the usual one and he said, no, he wants the carrot one :)

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. weirdess dream last nite about you making the carrot cake..!! hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. so creepy kan??? how can you dream of the exact same cake I was baking! hahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... i can imagine the taste. but cinnamon sik offset kelak ka the whole taste

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehehe... entah lah labu... i think a hint of cinnamon will go a long way.. it will actually enhance it i reckon.. Let me give it a try then update k :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. tok abi ka mel yang komen ya??? anyway..let's have baking session...!!(tp aku yakin pasti aku lebih suka kalau kita buat pau..meat pau....:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehehe... abi ka mel kan? heheheh.. abi mel ;) hehehe..

    ya, ya.. let's have baking session!!! best nya... boleh boleh... meat pau... we make yang got telur inside that... YUMMMMMM... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  9. yang atas tu memang abi yang komen...hehhehe jangan main2x he pandai oredi komen pasal food ni haha.

    this cake looks yummy! been searching for carrot cake. thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hehehe... so the very bangga me abi pandai komen on food :)

    This cake is really good - packed with goodness... the batter sikit jak, but the goodness (carrot / walnut / raisin) really lots! I've got another recipe I wanna try... I'll let you know if berjaya :)

    ReplyDelete