Saturday, December 4, 2010

The cymbals - Butter Cookie

Part 3 of the Drum cake series

Cracked my head on what was to be the cymbals - I want the whole cake to be edible. So since there were request for butter cookies, I thought, alright, let's try to make a BIG cookie for the cymbals. I was afraid that they will break though...




I was hunting high and low for colours for the drums (original plan: black and gold sides). Apparently, most shops stoppped black colouring as it didn't become black with mixed with frosting. Another shop owner told me no one wants to eat black cake! Haha. Anyway... with my hunt, I came across these...


No, not magic portion #9.... heheh... Edible gold dust. I was looking for gold spray but well, gold dust is good enough. Really expensive! 20grms is Rm20.90. Just like "gold"!

The original plan was to mix the gold dust with the butter cream; which I did - but apparently, it takes A LOT of dust to make it golden (where-art-thou-Oh-Midas??). And the shop owner said to make it nicer, dust on top of the butter cream only piped on to the cake. I didn't want the cake to be messy with the dust everywhere, so opted not to do it. What I did instead was to dust the top of the butter cookies to make it shiny and golden like a real cymbal.

Too bad the cymbal was horizontal instead of 45degrees slanted so the golden colours were not really seen (yes, I had erm, not-so-pleasant comments about this - but I'll talk about it on the last part of this - the assemble).

2 comments:

  1. i have to mengaku now...i didn't taste any off noel's cake..kihkihkih hence tia mengkomen di mana2 post tentang cake bday yg macho itu...! i did try the drum sticks..

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheheh... it's okay... i'm posting for the rememberance sake :P

    ReplyDelete