Friday, December 10, 2010

Kinokunya (??) Jelly

Kinokunya??? As in the book store??? Heheh... no.... actually it's Konnyaku, but everytime I want to say the word out, it becomes Kinokunya *blush*


Right, so on the last schooling day, Noel had a class party where everyone is supposed to bring something to share. After much dicussion between Mother and Son, we came down to the top 3 - Chicken Mayo Bun, Cupcakes or... Jelly. Then, he needed to sleep on it before deciding.



Next evening, as we sat for dinner, he gave his decision - jelly mummy. *heart leaped with joy - so easy!*. Then came the killer - BUT!!! - I want jelly like at Uncle Federick's house. *suffeeerrrr*. You see, the weekend before that we went to a colleague's house for "full moon" celebration. And there, we were served with Konnyaku jelly.


I have NEVER, EVER make this jelly before. Mainly because, it was something new (yes, I hate trying new things) and also, on the package, it says something-acid was part of the ingredient? I'm like - what?? acid??? hahaha...


Though I've never thought of trying, I still (typically) bookmarked a few recipes. So knowing Noel's love for mango, and since this recipe remarked "without the acid" - I was more than ready to give it a try.


Another concern - I do not have those mould for Konnyaku jelly! This is another reason why I've never tried this before - have to spend money on the mold! But then, I went ahead to buy - because I know it'll make Noel happy. And thinking about it, I too am happy that I did!


The jelly... they came out, oh so beautifully. I fell in love with them at first sight!






Noel was the benchmark for the taste of this jelly. He ate the first one, and after the first bite, he ran off from the kitchen table - I was thinking - OH NO!!!! he's gonna puke it out!!!! But no... he ran towards the shelf were we kept this...



And he said excitedly "Mommy, Mommy, taste like this!!!" Well, well, well.... to be compared to a fav is definately a winner :) If you'd noticed, the package no longer have the "mango" version. What's left are the laici version - the kids love it THAT much - so it's definitely a fav. We (the adults) loved this too and definately will keep on making (needless to say - it's so easy to make too!) I personally love it so much that I keep making even for day to day consumption :)


Then, Noel, staying true to our family's "let there be more than less" culture (especially when it comes to food) - said, one person should get two. The mango had yielded about 48 pcs - which is the exact number of classmates he has. Me, being the typical me, didn't want to make the same thing, so I made this as well.




Ribena is indeed very versetile. I've made Ribena Cheesecake before and now, this Ribena Jelly. This is refreshing and very cooling. One recipe yields only 24 pcs, so Mommy had to make 2 batches of this.

Both the mango and the ribena jelly had nata de coco in them. Noel helps me everytime there's a project for the class party. This is him, putting in the nata de coco into the mould.

And this is him wiping jelly mould for teacher's day in 2009 (he was in kindy)


And here he is cutting the jelly to make hearts...

He was cutting these...

To be part of the bigger jelly...

Hmmm.... I miss making jelly... I think I still have some nata de coco at home... I'll make the mango ones tonight!

5 comments:

  1. i missed the daging jelly hehe...! u got an elf helper...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahhaha... memang kalau tengok ni jelly, ingat uncle steady one ooooooo... daging jelly! wakakakakak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiakhiak... tu lah... noel pun balik2 say, uncle steady one likes the jelly. ahahaha... padahal terpaksa makan sebab cant eat daging... heheh... cian kan? :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. tapi, memang sedap bah that dy! i remember, when we were kids, my mom used to make jelly tghmalam, bcause she cannot stand our constant quest: keras suda? boleh sudda makan?. and jari pandai p cucuk2 lagi. muahahahaha.. my mom oso suka jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wakakkakaka.... memang o... balik2 go and ask if can eat oredi... as if asking many times will make it keras faster ;)

    ReplyDelete