Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Drum cake - the assemble

Gosh... we are finally at... Drum cake series - the finals!
The post on this cake has been taking forever to be done and over with! But then, it's good to document as the mind forgets... so bear with me ya!

Right, so it was 20th November 2010 - a day before Noel's birthday - the day we choose to celebrate on. Noel had VBS (Vacation Bible School) the whole day so that gives us a chance to do the deco on the cake.

This is basically what happened:

1) Took out and thawed all the frozen cakes.

2) Make Choc Ganache

3) This part is called "dusting". It's basically like plastering your walls before you put a good layer of cement on top - just to cover the flaws of the bricks. So on this part, just a small amount of ganache is spread on the cake. Very thin layer - you can actually still see the cake. This step is required to cover up any "dust" i.e. crumbles from the cake surface. After applying this layer - pop the cake into the fridge to harden the ganache - makes is easier on the next layer.


4) Application of the "real" ganache layer. Here's the part where the real layer is put on nice and thick. Spread well and pop back into the fridge.


5) As we wanted to make something similar to drums, mom had to do the piping of the lines around the cake. Why mom? Well, basically, because I never tried piping and "THE DAY" is not the day to try! And I have other things to make too (like jelly, buns etc) - hahaha... yeah, excuses, excuses... :P


Here's the "pre-assembled" version of the cake. Somehow I think it looks better? Must be the natural lights!


Oh, see that white stands? Those are actually akin to the stand people use for wedding cakes. Apparently, there's cheaper version - I got these at RM4.90 for 4 pieces.

Then, in order for it to "look" like drum stand - I wrapped it up with aluminium foil.

A couple of comments I got was:
1) Why didn't I use champaign glasses for the stand - the aluminium foil makes it look cheap - errmmmm.... I've never come across transparent drum stands!
2) Why was my cymbal - horizontal??? It should be 45degress slanted - yes, I agree, it should have been - but I must honestly admit - I don't know how to do it!
Well, I'm sure there's many more comments bottled up out of courtesy - but actually it's okay to comment so we can improve (and help others too) :)
It's been fun cracking my head on this project, but seriously, I doubt I'll be doing this again in the future!

2 comments:

  1. looking at the pics dgn aunty in it...making my eyes teary...i missed this part of life when mom n my grandma hard at work decorating cakes...

    i know noel will grow up to remember the cakes his mom n nenek made for him...I sure did remember mine....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe... i hope so... he asked for guitar next year... I said he already had guitar... but he answered me - that's from the shop... not mummy make... pengsan! wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete