Thursday, January 7, 2010

UP...




Who have not watched this movie? My bad, I've just only recently bought the DVD to watch with my son over the long New Year weekend.
In this movie, Carl (the old man) & Ellie, feel in love since the first day they met, they were still children then, both loving the same "adventure". They grew up, got married, dreamt of having children, found out that Ellie weren't able to be with a child, shifted their focus to achieve their dream of going to Paradise Falls. But "real life" sets in, punctured tires, leaking roof, etc sets them back. They grew old without achieving their "dream" and in the end Ellie dies. All these events were in "fast motion" in the movie, and while watching, I had to explain to Noel on this phase in Carl's life. He nodded his head through my explanation.
Last night as we were going to sleep, Noel asked me.. "Mummy, why in UP the nenek (old Ellie), die and go to heaven? Why she leave the old man (old Carl)?" I was dumbfounded. He caught me off guard. So I told him, "When people are old, they get tired and die and go to heaven. Babies, children and young people too can die, sometimes they are sick and the medicine cannot help, then they die."

Noel: "Will Apu' and Nenek die and go to heaven too?
Me: "Yes, everyone will"
Long pause....
Noel: "I don't want to go heaven Mummy"
Me: "Why?"
Noel: "I don't want to go alone, bah... I want to go with Mummy"
Through eyes glisten with tears, I told him, that going to heaven is "alone" journey... you have to go alone. But when you reach there, there will be people waiting for you. People who have Christ in their hearts.
Once there was a clown who came to our Sunday School and during the service, I know Noel lifted his hands when challenged to accept Christ. But, just in case... I asked him again, if he wanted to ask Christ into his heart. We said the sinner's prayer together and my son fell asleep peacefully.
I don't know what I will do when the time is up for my close and dearest ones to be called home by the Lord... I can't even bear to think about it.... God, please give me strength.
Aside, if you haven't watch UP, please, by all means, do so... but you need to watch the whole movie (from beginning till end), else you'd think it's only a movie about crazy talking dogs!! :)

2 comments:

  1. i cried masa first part ya...so touching

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sedih kan... i didn't think that dari small they bercinta. Did u see they so "assimilated" with each other that in the end, they changed their favorite sofa! sniff sniff

    ReplyDelete