Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The snare drum - carrot cake

Part 1 of the Drum cake series


I've baked another type of carrot cake before, which I truly loved, but that version crumbles very easily so the thought of perching it high on a stand makes me quite queasy. I had another version I kept in my "must do" folder, so decided to give that a try. And I am glad I did. The cinnamon that was missing in the 1st version made it oh-so-delish and being a cinnamon lover, the aroma of this baking was heavenly. I have always wanted to try cream cheese frosting, but since it's a set of same coloured frosting (i.e. Choc Ganache), I skipped the frosting this time.

Baked this cake on the Thursday leading to the birthday and froze it. Surprisingly upon defrost, the cake stayed really moist and flavourful. Since I only needed a small amount for the snare drums, I baked the remaining mixture as cupcakes. I so love the cupcake polka-dot liners! I've never baked in them before and I was pleasantly surprise that they were so easy to bake with and presentation was fab as well! Right out from the oven, the cake "felt" very wet (as if uncooked) and the cake got stucked to the liners. I immediately assumed the lines were hard to use! But the next day proved me wrong when the cakes came out beautifully in one piece after the liners were torn apart. I'll definately get more of these liners on my next visit to the baking store :)


Oh, please do give the carrot cake a try... It's so heavenly delicious! I will definately bake this again (together with the cream cheese frosting) once I muster enough will to grate oh-so-many carrots!

No comments:

Post a Comment