Monday, November 1, 2010

Little Chapel on the River

I get to pick up some books from her "shelf" each time we go out on our monthly date. This time, I picked up some Jodi's work and this... The Local (the title seems to be Little Chapel on the River in the original version - kenapa ah tu Gou? )


When I asked what this book was about, she said it was a true story after the events of 9/11 - and that the writer was a lesbian. Haha... what an info. While muttering "besar bah sudah kita ni", I picked up the book and made a mental note to make it the first book I will read when I got home.

It's been more than a week now since I'm done reading the book and I have yet to pick up another. Instead, I've hungrily re-read and re-read the book again (yes, I'm on my 3rd round now), while devour the blog, glad that I am able to see the real Guinan and to learn more about them. My weekness has always been for true stories and somehow, this one left such an impact in me, that I am reluctant to read another book so soon after in fear that it will somehow burst my "zone".

A pub, a town and the search of what matters most - that's the description on the book cover and I get caught up with how in the spirit of oneness, of acceptance, of loving freely and fiercely, of extending kindness even when it's not due, of just letting a person be what they want to be, of the human duct tape seals a community tight. Ain't it nice to belong to such a place? Or rather - wouldn't it be nice to own and run such a place - be it a bakery, a photo studio, a Bed & Breakfast, a resort, a bookstore, a jamming place, a home - anything - a place where people can find naive acceptance and love.

There's a real Guinan family. There's a real Garrison. A real Gwendol. This entry, is a silent tribute to Jim and John Guinan - for reminding me that there's still such thing as naive kindness in the world today. Just trust and love - peduli lah if itu orang kasi break your heart.

6 comments:

  1. ahhh.. told ya. this one good book.
    ya. dia punya original version lain kunun the tajuk. i think this one for countries yg over-concious with the word 'chapel'. maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all i can remember is that the book is about a pub...ehehe..why not check out a real pub ?LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. hem..hebat la korang dapat do ur reading..susah tul mau baca buku tapi siok klu adaptasi dalam btk muvie..jadi, my point is..Jom,lets check out on a real pub??..ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. togs - what a terrible reality kan? sampai tajuk pun mau kena tukar...

    Jen / Nite - bah, bah... jum kita cari a real pub! got kah that - a pub tepi sungai yang best? Project Nov? Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dy:just stick to normal place..tapi rasa nya enggak ada kesempatan them all...maybe next time..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehehe... yeah... it would be a miracle if can go visit those tempat biasa even... :)

    ReplyDelete