Thursday, September 16, 2010

Plain, Sweet and Simple

Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that gives us the utmost pleasure isn't it?

I baked these last weekend, knowing that I would need bread / bun for lunch / breaks etc. It would be easier to just head to a bakery nearby to grab whatever kind I wanted but then again, where's the fun in that? And also knowing that dad likes simple bakes (simple butter cookies, simple butter cakes, simple buns), especially right out of the oven, made me even more determined to give this a go. I've never tried baking these before. I made the savoury version before, but never tried it plain and simple.


They came out almost perfect. Well, for me at least. A 9.5/10 if I may (hey, it's MY blog so I can say anything right?). The buns were soft and fluffy. Sweet and salt-ish at the same time. It was buttery enough so no extra jam or butter was needed (which of course can be applied if one wanted to), but the butter taste was also subtle enough so it was not overpowering and sickening after a few bites. They were done just at the right time for dad to break his fast, so he happily greeted these yummy simplicity. The satisfied look on his face was well worth the sacrifice of my much needed afternoon nap!

Mom said she bakes buns and bread every other day when we were little. Unfortunately, I do not recall, but it's definately nice to know that now I too can bake for my son and my loved ones.
Give these a try - it stays well - was still soft on the 3rd day (yes, lasted for 3 days because I hid some for my lunch). Hop over here to get the recipe for the sweet bun dough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Indian, Malay, Chinese, Murut, Kadazan, Bidayuh, Dusun, Iban, Semai, and all the other wonderful and beautiful races residing on one land. The land abundant with smiles & warms hearts. It's quite simple really. Simple but astonishingly wonderful. I hope we remain simple in our belief that all of us can work together for the harmony of Malaysia.

Happy Malaysia Day

6 comments:

  1. OMG..i adore you dy...!! bangga kenal org boleh polah bun with soft2 and holes inside(entah my indicator tu nice buns)
    imagine making ur own burger buns..and own burger...yummmy..! can't wait for Nov

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe... thanks for the support jane :) Ok, ok, will dig for a burger bun recipe very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. muahahahaha.. see what i mean? food blog oredi tis dy. a nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wakakka... I need to put in variation then huh? Hehe... I have no intention to turn this into a food blog!! Oh Tidak!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy la...i oso like plain bun.hmmm nanti i wan to try do la.
    hehhe..ok juga bah if this turn into food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merl - ya, ya, give this a try.. really yummy :) hmmm... i don't think I wanna use food blog concept... nanti pening my head wanna think of food to put up :) Besides, I don't have THAT many recipes to call my own... biarlah blog rojak for now :)

    ReplyDelete