Thursday, September 2, 2010

For the love of Yogurt

Year: 1989
Place: Melbourne, Australia
Situation: An innocent 11 yr old girl was tricked by her father into thinking that this was yummy-licious!


No.... it's NOT vanilla ice cream!! It's plain yogurt on a cone. My dad was so convincing, saying that I'd love it. And it does look very good, doesn't it? On the first taste - YUCKS!!! Needless to say, my dad was a happy man that day since he had 2 cones of that plain yogurt (as he had to finish mine as well).

Ever since then, I have never ever ever wanted to even touch yogurt. Then came those fruity yogurt in uni days. A coursemate was really crazy about them and told me (more like pester me) to give it a try. So I gingerly tried a spoonful. And to my surprised, they were not only acceptable, they were lovely! So I began my love relationship with yogurt.
One of my recent bakes requires buttermilk, which I substitute with plain yogurt. Being greedy, and knowing that it will be hard for me to get the supply in the near future, I grabbed 2 tubs recently and now I am left with half a tub. Though I have been having those fruity yogurt with no issues for the past 10 yrs or so, I have never dared to taste plain yogurt on it's own.
After so much "good" food, which contains lots of coconut milk (santan) recently, I told myself that I need to pull the brake for a while and give my body (and my waistline) a break. With this, came the idea of... low carb week (hopefull rolls into month). So my first low carb lunch will be Coleslaw and Poached Chicken Breast Meat.
The basic of Coleslaw in our household is cabbage + carrot + blackcurrent (or raisin) + mayonaise. Me, tyring to be smart (and "healthy") decided to trade the mayo with my leftover plain yogurt. The verdict? YUCKS!!! NO NO NO NO and NO!!! Gosh!! What a terrible combination, I almost cried when I took a bite! Thankfully, I only mixed a handful and I regret to inform that I have indeed wasted food :(
So, though I breaks my heart (not really, hehe) to use mayo, I went back to the basic. And I will be chomping on this for lunch with a smile on my face :) [though I'll be missing my rice very much for the next few days :( ]

Note: Sorry for the blurly picture... taken with my mobile phone camera :)

3 comments:

  1. wat wat..wat... i think you shud put something else apart from the yogurt..honey perhaps..but for a none yogurt person..erm..i wouldn't try it either...try apple cider dy...goes well with honey on salads...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heheh... Yeah.. lots type dressing kan... but feel so wasted if try then don't like it... mayo is the safest bet. Hopeless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i tried apple cyder with honey..yummy..

    ReplyDelete