Monday, September 20, 2010

Golden Flowers to start the week

Because my mind is to overwhelmingly full, my body is on the verge of breaking apart, and my heart is so heavy at the moment, I will start the week's blog with comforting stuff - food :)
Baked these babes again last Saturday and while I am happy and content with plain ones, I thought I'd need something filling to bring to work. So decided to make flowers on Sunday. Flowers? i.e. gardening?? tsk tsk tsk... not to that extend! Flower Sausage Bun is more like it :)
I've wanted to try crafting these for aaggessss but as always, trying and doing something new is always scary (not only in baking). I looked to the ever trusted Google for my inspiration, but though there were lots who made beautiful flowers, I didn't manage to find any... "detailed" work instruction as to how to twist it into a flower. So, in order for me not to forget, and to ease your trial [see how kind I am?? NOT! :)], here goes....

Prepare dough.
Weigh the into 60gms balls. Flatten them into a rectangle-ish box. It should be enough to cover your sausage from tip to tip. Put the sausage on top and roll to cover.
Cut 4 slits into the roll - make sure you cut through the sausage, but leave some dough uncut - for connection purposes.
Bunch up to a "U". We'll now refer to the sections as Sub 1, Sub 2, Sub 3, Sub 4 and Sub 5.

Here comes the tricky part. Twisting it. Ready? Take sub 1 and bring between Sub 2 and Sub 3. (Yucks! My hand so ugly and wrinkly already??? I'm only 32!!!) (Oooppsss!!! did I just annouced my age to the whold wide world???) Doink!

Let's continue with class... :) Then, take Sub 5 and bring that between Sub 1 and Sub 2 (You can't see Sub 1 in the below pix)

Then, you'll have to turn Sub 2 and Sub 4 upwards. There you have your flower :) Easy Peasy!
Let your flowers proof for about 10 minutes (Below is already proofed and ready for the oven)
Pop into the oven, spread butter on top as soon baked through and Voila!! Golden Flowers ready to be munched on! A note on the oven - each oven will vary on the temperature and the timing. I used 150C @ 20 minutes. Else, my oven will burn these beauties. Here's a rear shot - just so we know how they look like from behind :)

And because some needs evidence that the buns have holes inside [:)], here's an attempted shot. The sausages looks oily as I've just spread butter on these and couldn't wait for them to dry off. In actual fact, they are not oily at all.

So there you have it... lots of flowers to start our week. Praying for a steady emotion week ahead!
For easy ref, here's the basic dough recipe. Can't live without this :)

Ingredient: 500g bread flour or high protein flour
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
100g castor sugar
1 tsp salt
270ml water
50g soften butter

Method: -
Put flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl & mix well. Slowly pour in water.
Use slow speed to knead the dough till gluten is formed (can pull into very thin sheet without tearing - also called window pane test).
Add butter and knead till well combined. - Remove dough from mixing bowl, shape into a smooth ball and put into a greased bowl.
Cover with wet cloth. Leave aside to prove till double in bulk. To test, press with finger. The depression should rise up and back to shape. - Punch down and knead again till smooth. Leave aside to rest for 15 minutes. The dough is now ready to be shaped.

Much Love, Hugs and Kisses Peeps!

3 comments:

  1. i surely will try this. eventho i dont eat sausage. look really cute..

    ReplyDelete
  2. ko kasi tambah sambal lah ..atau tuna..! i will just have to stick to p bakery lah hehe..blame it on ungifted hands...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was fun to make Gou - del went like - wahhh... aunty make fawer (flower)??

    what else can be used as filling hor? that's as hard but at the same time as lembut at a sausage? tuna? hmmm... good idea o jane... kasi roll it the potong2 kan? jum try!

    ReplyDelete