Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cheating Yeast

Made this beauties last night. As usual, The Bug comes to haunt. I was rather... scared to revisit this recipe, because the last time I made this, our hand mixer went kaput! Hehe... For that very reason, we got this...



A sturdy kind of mixer :) This actually comes with 3 functions (i.e. mixer, blender, meat processsor) and it was at a really good price. One of the best buys we made. So, after years of fearing the worst, I took this up last night, and decided to put this babe to the test. Yes, I was (and still am) really really scared.


Why cheating yeast you might ask? Well... yeast thrives in warm environment. Must, since it was night and though our kitchen is REALLY hot, I had to cheat the yeast to rise. So heated up the oven and put the mixing bowl near it and tada!!! The yeast cheated. Neh neh neh neh neh... hehe :)

Was worried that the yeast found out and refuse to make my buns rise, but I was not to worry... these came out from the oven....


Bun Kosong (empty bun)


And because Noel will hate bun kosong, and I wanted to try to replicate what's made in the bakery, I made these too...


Sausage bun


The smell of yeast + flour + butter as they were baking in the oven was divine... heavenly.... We sat down to a late night supper with those bun, and once mum, dad & Noel nodded their head, approving of the taste and texture, I was ready to flop down in bed! It took a long long time for me to get the final result, as this is a new unfamiliar territory, but it was, as always, good therapy.


To me, the real test of whether the goodies pass or not, will be the next morning - will they still be soft and fluffy? So this morning, the first thing I did was to check and I'm happy to say, the buns passed the test!

Coffee and homemade bun

Have a great day mates!

p/s: Recipe will follow once I get everything right (means more practise)

7 comments:

  1. you made me salivate....aduh...!! look nice..wah bangga aku eh ada kawan pandai polah...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you for the never ending support... I'll continue to perfect this and hunt for Ham Bun recipe in time for you guys coming over k :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get the mixer for a 'good price'?

    SM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi SM, this we got at a tiny electrical shop. Sometimes it's good to go "hunting" at smaller joints - great buys at time :) We got it less than 1K - "normal" price would be around 1.5K. Don't ask me why big difference though - i'm not sure too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wah!! This one I nvr try... but I believe it would taste as good as the one sell in the bakery shop... You can/ should start thinking for a name of your bakery shop... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh geezz....my next project is to get mixer. ur mixer look so cool la.

    past two weeks been busy...baking is good..effective de-stres method kan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph - yea, not enough to bring to the office :) And also I was / am still looking for the "perfect" recipe :P

    Merl - yes, yes, by all means - please do get a mixer - kenwood by far is the best - but if given a chance now, i reckon I'll get one that can be hand held too - my this one, is static - a hand held one sometimes you'll need for those "next, in a separate bowl, beat yadayadayada"

    Baking is an excellent de-stress method! (note - how's ur choc cake went?)

    ReplyDelete