Thursday, July 30, 2015

Murud 2015 - During - Day 6

Monday, 20th July

We had decided the day before to start hiking down at about 8am.  If we left earlier, there would be too many people as many are planning to leave around 5 or 6am.  We were not that kiasu to go back.  We got up, had morning devotions at 6am, had breakfast and we were ready to go.  So many people were queuing up to use the toilet and we just let them go first.  We took our time.  Our group went of in stages - Cathy and Sharon went first.  Followed by Rome and Lis - saying wanting to make a video on Batu Linanit.  Then Ps. Sabiyah, Jane, Mee Ting and Judith went next.  The four of us - Barb, Lyd, Maria and myself went last - coz we wanted to use the toilet in peace :D  The 3 fitter ones vs me the slow snail.  As the hike up Batu Linanit got tougher, I told them to move on so Barb and Lyd did go at their super fast hare pace - aiming to reach Lepo Bunga in 3 hours.  Maria apparently didn't feel good about leaving me alone; which is the basic jungle survival rule - always walk with a buddy.  As I mentioned before, I don't mind walking alone but I welcomed her companion and stories about her life along the way.

Maria, Barb and Lyd at the beginning of the climb down.  The pond was still full - more than enough water for the full 4 days conference of 2084 participants.  Uncle Paran's house is the dark brown house at the right hand.
The climb up to Batu Linanit was as hard as I thought it would be and the climb down was even worst!  I was wondering to myself why my hips were hurting badly then I remembered, I was at least 10kgs heavier than 2013 - it could have been more after 4 days of non-stop eating on the mountain!  I trudge along telling God to please don't call me back to climb the mountain.

We arrived the end of Jambatan Sukacita being welcomed by Judith, Mee Ting, Jane, Ps. Sabiyah, Rome and Lis.  Apparently Rome and Lis waited for about an hour for the 3rd group to arrive.  Soon after Maria and I arrived too.  While resting, I rewarded myself with a snickers (again).  Then I told Maria, she can walk on with the faster 2 - Rome and Lis.  So that's what she did after telling the others that she now entrust me into their care.  Haha.  


Rome, Jane and Lis waiting for us at Jambatan Sukacita to start our final lag of the journey down
We all broke into groups again.  The fast ones, the medium ones - Jane, Judith and Mee Ting and the slow one - me!  Haha.  This time it was Ps. Sabiyah who refused to let me walk alone.  The walk down was really bad to my knees.  It went kaput after the hike down in 2013 and now it was really giving me all the trouble it can.  Along the way, I met an aunty (dad's 2nd cousin) who said her friend also had knee pain and was better after taking 2 panadols.  Good thing I had my medicine pouch with me, I quickly pop 2 panadols praying that it will indeed work.  Ohhhhhh.... the looooooonnnngggggggg waaaaayyyyyy dooowwwwwnnnnnnnnnn..... I almost gave up and would just spend the night there in the jungle if I didn't feel so bad for Ps. Sabiyah.  I mustered all the strength I had left where out of no where this tiny crunched up old lady appeared from behind and say it's okay, anak... slowly.... my knees are also painful and I can't carry my own things anymore... Come let's walk slowly.  Yeah right grandma.  She was 80 years old!  O earth, please open up and swallow me.  Haha.

At long last, we could hear the engine of the cars, the shouts of victory, the laughter etc - the end was near.  I made it to the bottom, Ps. Sabiyah still faithfully behind me.  It took me 5 hours for the hike back down - the same as 2013.  The rest were already bored waiting for me so I didn't even got the chance to look around and quickly I was ushered in to the waiting 4WD - it didn't feel that bad once I got there - I was just really looking forward to going back to Buduk Nur for a good rest.

We arrived Buduk Nur at about 2pm and after discussing where to go what to do, we went back to Apu' Ineng's house.  But before that - aha! - we stopped for a cold drink - hoping so much for a cold coke, but alas, only sprite was available.  Better than none.  Then we made our way to the house.  I did tell Uncle Pudun in April that we will spend some time at Apu's house and he said sure, just come.  Given his track record of never taking me seriously, I doubt that he told anyone in the kampung.  Up on the mountain, Aunty Takung told me that Uncle Liau and Auntie Alui is now staying with Apu' for the past month or so.  So theirs was the name I called out as we reached the house.  Thank God they were all at home.  True enough, Uncle Pudun did come on Wednesday night (we were up on the mountain already) and just mention to Apu' at a passing that we might come.  Oh well.  It's my grandma's house, open 24/7, no reservations needed ;)  Oh, what a joy it was to see Apu' Neng!  She was surprised to see us, but I think, pleasantly surprised.

We came up, took turns to shower and napped for a good 2 hours.  It was such a luxury to sleep on a matress again!  I woke up after the nap and walked into the kitchen, finding Uncle Liau with a freshly slaughtered chicken.  2 days before, he was coming down from the mountain and when he got to Lepo Bunga, he found that there were some people there who have not eaten for a long time because they did not have the facilities.  He, being "stubbornly nice" went to gather some firewood and in his kanchiongness managed to chop his knee area and got 4 stitches for it.  His leg was now swollen and he was not able to walk properly.  He is a very resourceful person as he was good in finding jungle products, fish, jungle animals etc.  But he was in no condition to do so now.  In the hospitable steps of the late grandpa, he quickly went to slaughter chicken for dinner.  Oh how good the chicken soup tasted that night.  We sat around the table and I think Apu' entertained us more than we did her.  I retired to the smaller kitchen to chat with Uncle Liau and am glad to be able to catch up with him whilst Lyd and Barb talked with Apu' Neng.

Around 9pm, the 3 of us decided to go to Ama' Paran's house to retrieve our "box of treasure" which we had send down the day before via Balang; his son.  Of we went in search of his house - and after asking a few times, were directed to his door.  It was nice catching up but we did not stay long as it seems that they were very tired and ready to sleep too.  Along the way, because it was a dark night, we had to walk really carefully as there was a lot of "landmines" a.k.a. buffalo dung all over.  Thank God we had our head lamps.


Headlamp - such a useful thing to have!  We used it for cooking, for washing dishes etc.  Hands free.  I got this at the army supply shop at 7th Mile for RM19.80 only!  Such a steal.
When we got back to the house, Aunty Alui said that Aunty Takung asked us to go to the house for bbq.  Errr... say what?  But well, minding our manners, we went anyways.  Thankfully, the house was just nearby.  Apparently, there was miscommunication between her and Aunty Alui.  She had asked us, the whole family to come for dinner but Aunty Alui thought that they were coming to our house instead.  Their house was such a cute house with a build in fireplace with a real chimney!  Uncle John had good taste :)  After eating a little (we were already too full), we said our goodnights.  It was already 11 by the time we got home and the 3 of us promptly konked out.  I hope I can wake up to go to tomorrow's morning prayer.  Aunty Alui was going to work at 6am tomorrow so she told us to take care of our own breakfast etc and that we will be going to Aunty Amu's house at Puneng Kelalan after she got back from work and after lunch.  Yeay!  So looking forward to meet Aunty Amu (a.k.a. Aunty Lina)

No comments:

Post a Comment