Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Murud 2015 - During - Day 1

This year I did not bother to take out my camera / phone to take photos as it's my second time climbing.  I knew I could get photos especially from the first timers *wink, wink*

Wednesday, 15th July 
We arrived at BKM at 10.35 as schedule.  We then proceeded to Apple Lodge to change our clothes.  Pastor Sabiyah took care of our boxes of ration from the airport to the 4WD as they had arrived earlier and were already in their hiking gear.  We finally met the rest of the team members - Rome, Liserd, Pastor Sabiyah (TMC BM), Jane (Good News), Cathy and her sister Sharon (Sibu), Mee Ting, Judith, myself (TMC English), Lydia, Maria (BEM) and Barbara (Latter Rain)

The 4WD was already waiting.  Off we went at 11am.  I didn't get to say hi to Grandma as her house was in the kampung area and we did not want to waste our time.  In 2013, it took us 2 hours drive up to Lepo Bunga, but this year, as the roads were good (it's cemented some parts) and dry (it did not rain for weeks except that morning), it only took us 1 hour.

Arrived Lepo Bunga, off to porter station to weigh our things, had a quick lunch standing by the lepo (hut) and off we went at 12.15 noon.  I personally aimed to arrive before night fall.

The first part of the hike seems easier to me this time... I guess all those last minute hours of up and down at the staircase and park really did help a lot.  Of course, I wasn't as fast as the fitter ones like Barb and Lyd, but oh well, who cares.  They can run up the hill if they wanted to, I thought to myself :D  I didn't mind hiking alone, as that would mean some time to be alone with God.  My dad of course would kill me if he knew I was alone or if I had left anyone to hike alone.  

Along the way up to Jambatan Sukacita, Sharon who was a first timer had much difficulties.  She had not taken lunch as she was not hungry and we could really see how she was struggling.  Her legs were shaking (her whole body was actually).  She also did not have isotonic drinks (note:  MUST have 100plus - it's actually the only drink you need - note to self, next time - 2 small bottles for going up, 2 small bottles for going down).  This was Cathy's 2nd hike and it was easier for her, so, she, Pastor Sabiyah and myself hiked slowly with Sharon.  At one point, she broke down and wept.  We prayed.  After 2 crazy hours, we reached Jambatan Sukacita.  Praise the Lord.


Jambatan Sukacita Metal Netting trail - thanks Barb for the pix
There, I literally forced Sharon to eat the rice we had taken along with us with lots and lots of salted fish.  The salt will help restore the electrolites (I think) and I know it will help her not to get cramps.  2 things my dad warned me about the hike is 1)  Not to get a cramp - small steps and lots of isotonic and 2)  Don't walk in the dark.

So in order not to be caught in the dark, after a quick break, we continued our journey.  In 2013, there were metal nettings along the way but because it was rainy season and there was a political disagreement between the kampung folks, they could not repair the old bridge with the new one.  This year, praise the Lord, they had done so. One of the reason I wanted to go back was to see if they had done anything to the pathway with the amount of money offered in 2013 and I am glad they had. But my joy was short lived.  It soon ended and we were back on the jungle trail.  I found out later that there weren't enough supply of the netting.  During this walk, Sharon was still struggling so we walked in a really slow pace.  We were joined by strong and pretty Edit - Pastor Sabiyah's first cousin.  We talked, sang, joked, and tried to make the journey a happy one for Sharon.  After another 2 hours, we reached the bottom of Batu Linanit.  I shared my ration of snickers with everyone as a reward :)

Up to Batu Linanit we went.  Honestly, I did not remember this part.  I don't remember how steep it was.  How small and slippery the steps were.  How FAR it was to reach up there.  It was INSANE.  But in order not to discourage Sharon, I kept my mouth shut and keep on.  Yes, here, it was beyond funny.  Up, up, up we went and we finally got to the "false" peak - Batu Linanit.  We rested for a while, Edit took out her phone, put on some music and down, down, down we went toward the church site.  2 years ago, I remembered the path being wide but this year, it seems that the bushes has overgrown the area and the path were really small (or was I getting bigger? :D)  It was a struggle to go down with my heavy body.  Most of the time I sat on the stone.  At times, I had to lift my leg because I was already so tired.  But continue I must.  At this stage, Edit and I had already took turns to carry Sharon's backpack so she can descend with ease.  At long last.... we arrived at the church site at 6.15pm!  HURRAHHHHH!!!!! Rome, Lis, Barb and Lyd - all nice, warm, clean and changed welcomed us at the pool.  Such joy!  Half and hour later the last of our group, Mee Ting, Judith and Jane arrived. Jane had some difficulties at the start up.  After Jambatan Sukacita she was all okay. Praise the Lord for He is our strength.


Up to Batu Linanit - Pix courtesy of Barb
We "bath" (more like just splashed ourselves) in the ice-cold water, changed to the clean pair we had in our carry on backpack and we had our "dinner" with what we had in our bags.  Our ration, as expected had not arrived.  Then, it rained so heavily - on one part, I was thankful for the rain, which means there will be water in the pond for everyone, but on the other part, I cried thinking of those still on the way (hiking) in the jungle, and I worry thinking about the road condition that will enable people to come up to Lepo Bunga and if the jungle trail would become muddy - a disaster especially for first timers and city dwellers.

After dinner, hot drinks, fellowship, our bags started to come in one by one.  I am thankful for the STP students who served as porters as well.  Alas, mine did not arrive that night.  I was so thankful that we were at Uncle Paran's house, did not have holes on our walls, had double mats on our floor and even had think comfy blanket in store!  True to Lun Bawang "stubbornly-nice" hospitality, they gave up their mattresses and blankets for others.  I got one blanket too :) They both just shared one sleeping bag to cover themselves up that night with their leg near the fire.  Still, it was freezing cold that night.  I doubt any of us got any sleep.  9 of us slept in the room (sardine for warming effect) and Lyd, Pastor Sabiyah and myself slept in the kitchen with Ama' Paran and Ina' Martina.
  
Us, and our host.  Pix courtesy don't know who in group whatapps :)

1 comment: