Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Bitten by the travel bug - Day 3 (Langkawi & Penang)

Since we were already in Langkawi, I thought the next best state to visit was Penang.  I am not a fan of Penang food, so Penang has never attract me that much.  But I had actually wanted to let Noel try the ferry (I had taken the ferry with friends in 1999) that’s why I decided to go to Penang.  However, the ferry takes 2 hours and being limited on time, I decided not to.

We woke up, showered and went down to check out.  Yes, Mr. Overnight breath was still on duty.  Yucks. Again.  Actually, there was still another historical place that I wanted to take Noel to – Padang Besar Terbakar – but being the airport kiasu that I am, I didn’t want to risk it.  A reason for another trip!  So, we decided to have breakfast at any kopitiam.  I told Noel repeatedly during the trip that I am so glad he is opened to any type of food and that he is so easy when it comes to eating.  We had nothing-to-shout-about wantan noodles.  Well, perhaps there will be better food in Penang.

Off to the airport, returned our car and we were greeted by a loonnggg que at the customs.  When we got to the machine (after like 15 minutes) we were told that we didn’t have to check our bags because it was handcarry.  Haiyah, if I knew, I would have smuggled something out! Hahaha.  Went in to the boarding hall and did our reading about Penang while waiting.  Then a man sitting behind us asked if we could watch his bags while he goes to the toilet.  We did and when he came back we got talking.  He was from India and spent a few days in LGK onwards to KL for a holiday alone.  ALONE.  This is not his first holiday trip to Malaysia ALONE.  And he’s got a wife and kids!  And he’s here for a holiday alone!!  ALONE!  Aduh… I wonder why? L  I did asked him why, he said the kids are working and the wife need to take care of the house.  Somehow deep in my heart I felt sad for this man.  Perhaps in my case, being a single mom and only having a son (who will eventually marry and have his own family; sons are different from daughters you see…), I would do the same – go for holidays alone, but for him… I felt sad.

Our flight started boarding and we said our goodbyes to the Indian ALONE man.  Upon arriving Penang, I made a mental note to check out what brand of tau-sa-peah were selling at the airport because I knew I must buy some home.  Note taken: none of my favorite brand (read: have to find a way to the original shop.  Read: have to carry so heavy around town).

When I was telling friends about this planned adventure, they started telling me about Uber and Grab.  I think they have just started in Kuching, and having a car in Kuching of course I won’t be bothered.  But now is the time to try.  Went to ask for the price of taxi at the counter – phew! So expensive.  Checked Grab (yes, I’ve downloaded the app before the trip) and it was so much more affordable.  So got a Grab.  The guy was pleasant and it was a good trip to town.  He gave us tips on where to makan too.  Oh the joys of talking to locals!

After the experience in LGK and because of not so great advice on TripAdvisor, I was worried about our Penang accommodation.  Little India Heritage Villa.  Already lah the name little india kan? For sure lah lots of bau india! Yes… it was very fragrant!  It was before check in time, and our room was not available yet, so we left our things there and off we went to walk, walk, walk!  I will worry about how our room is later…

What it said about the location of the hotel was at least very true.  Just a couple of steps out and we came to the first of many street art!  A famous one too!  And I became a real street art hunter maniac!  Poor Noel having such insane mother.  It was initially hard to get our bearings so we just walked around for a bit.  And stopping every so often to pose with art.  Haha.  I wanted to go to Penang Interactive Museum first so we walked walked walked and came across Penang Curry Mee!  Yippie.  Meal 1.  Then walk walk walk – eh, what’s that?  Upside Down House!  Yeay… found it without even looking.  Since there was barely any queue at the reception, we decided to go in.

The museum was divided into many sections, each different theme – bedroom, toilet, coffeeshop etc.  There will be a staff at each section who will teach you how to pose and will help you take your photo using your mobile / camera.  The problem is, there are MANY people waiting for their turn at each section.  So you come in, pose, click and move on.  No time to appreciate the upside down art… I am sure it would be interesting to be able to see the details of how they do it.

Once out from the museum, off we went again.  Walk, walk, walk.  And I did not hear the end of “You should learn how to ride a bike mom, then we don’t have to walk so much!”  To… Penang Road Famous Chendol!  Am I glad that at the place, they have everything under Penang’s sun – Laksa Penang, CKT, Lobak, Chendol etc… It was crazy packed but there was there 2 young men who didn’t mind us sharing with them (they even offered noel to eat their lobak)  I ordered the chendol (self service by the way), laksa and CKT.  The chendol was normal, but tasted really good in that sweltering heat; we ended up having 2 bowls each.  The laksa was good, albeit a little bit sweeter than what I am used to, but the CKT was a total let down.  Again.  What is it with us and Penang CKT?  We can never get (or maybe it’s our tastebuds) a “good” Penang CKT.  After the not so satisfying meal, off we went again.  Walk, walk, walk, walk…. Have I mentioned how much we walked???

One of the best thing in Penang as well is their FREE CAT buses.  We saw one coming as we were walking past a bus stop so we just hopped on.  Next:  Penang Interactive Museum.  As you can see, I am trying to cross off all these bloody museums out of the way!  Not knowing where to stop, we just followed the bus to the terminal and walked to the Museum.  It’s not that far and well, we had to walk off our calories right?  Arrived the Museum and spent about an hour there.  More posing, more clicking…  It was nice and a must to visit – but maybe better to be done in 2 separate days?  But well, done.

Next:  Ferry.  One of the things a student MUST see is Penang Bridge.  It is so iconic right?  The longest bridge in Malaysia, and our PM during that time officiated by driving the first national car – of course it’s a must see.  But to be on the bridge, you won’t be able to see the bridge.  Thank God we had experienced this when we took Noel here when he was a year old (same route – Langkawi è Penang).  So this time I knew, we only have to take the ferry for him to see the bridge.  We took another CAT to the terminal and walked to board the ferry.  It was a good ride and we saw what we needed to see, and took the next ferry back.  I had wanted to visit the Clan Jetty but more importantly I wanted to catch the sunset at Penang Hill.

Uber? Grab? Taxi?  Nope.  BUS.  Haha… elcheapo mummy.  Another great thing about Penang’s bus system is that they are all so clearly labeled.  And punctual.  And plenty. We got on a bus in no time and headed to Penang Hill.  The journey took us through Ayer Itam, famously known for it’s laksa; perhaps another trip, I was anxious to get up the hill before dark.  Got our tickets and lo and behold a big group of primary school kids were lining up to go up!  And it took the teachers forever to get them organized.  *Eye Rolled* But in the end, we reached the hill just before it got dark.  Kiddo and I just sat there on the hill and watch Penang town transformed beautifully in the dark.  I absolutely love these moments, after the whole day rush, to sit back and just be enveloped in awe.  We had spent our evening in the same way in LGK as well.  Achievement unlocked J Penang Hill is such a happening place as well.  They even have a “love lane” where there’s mushy lovey dovey things along the lane and people took photos – all with extra charge of course!

Time to go down now… We escaped the herd of students and went down.  I wanted to be back in town not too late so called another GrabCar to the rescue.  What’s for dinner?  Nasi Kandar Line Clear!! Yippie!  I have read about this place a thousand times, and sometimes I wonder what’s so great about rice drenched in curry gravy?  Plus, this kind of mamak mixed rice is always so expensive.  But since we are in Penang, we might as well right?

It.was.fantastic.  Noel drenched his rice with “kuah lebih” and had to exchange with me.  But we both enjoyed it to the max.  We are in love.  With rice.  Drenched in curry gravy.  We vowed to come back before we leave tomorrow.  Hehe.

Happy tummy?  Yup!  Time to head back to the hotel kiddo.  Walk walk walk walk walk walk somemore, walk till you can’t take it anymore!  Hahaha… Along our night walk back to the hotel, we passed through so many interesting and happening streets, so many people, so many tourist, so many street art and so many food (but we were too full already).  We did stop for coconut drink at the road side.  It was a really hot day.
At the hotel, the guy on duty was very efficient albeit it being late – must have been around 10pm or something, smelled pleasantly indian (not like Mr. Overnight breath from LGK), retrieved our booking from online and gave our keys and grabbed our bags in less than 5 minutes.  The moment of truth… jeng, jeng, jeng… The room was… GOOD!  Oh thank God!  It was spacious, and clean.  The bathroom too was spacious and clean and Noel didn’t run out because of any cockroach or anything.  There was a wardrobe and 2 sofas and a dressing table even.  All for RM62.  Value for money man!  *pats myself on the back* End of Day 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment