Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Best No Nonsense Boss EVER

"Diana ahhh.... shit ah!!!! I drank ZERO alcohol last night and I gained, I GAINED 600grams ah!  Bloody Hell!  I don't understand the logic! Shit ahh!!  There I was on the scale, in front of the mirror, stark naked after I did my big business and STILL I gained 600g!" *whilst showing middle finger*

"Diana, Diana... soon I can buy dresses online like Adriana! You will be fatter than me and I will be slimmer than you know huh you know!  I am now 78 ah!!  Last night I drank 3 bottles of Reds and my weight still went down 800g ah!"

"Boss, don't forget to bring the umbrella, it's raining".  "Do you think I am invalid?? Do you think I am a goat to be scared of the rain? Ah, give me the umbrella.  Just to please you"  "OK Boss, don't forget to bring it back tomorrow" Next day:  "You think I am senile ah??? Forget your umbrella" 


A beautiful tribute in our Facebook page.  Every single word rings true.  Penned by his favorite PA whom he has groomed and promoted to her full potential. 
That's JP, always seeing someone's potential and willing to groom and push them to be a better version of themselves.
I joined the company in December 2016.  He was away for Christmas break and as soon as he came back in January 2017, we clicked and I took an instant liking to his no-nonsense way of doing business.  There's not such thing as "ulam" so and so, special treatments and what-nots.  He loved Sarawak and is much of a Foochow as any Foochow can claim.  He loves his gu-bak mee (beef noodles), mee sua, economic rice, chicken rice, chicken curry, chinese food, india roti, pansuh as much as he loves his steak and bread.  He was always fiercely proud and confident in his team.  He would consult and discuss with every level, including me; just an admin.  His wide range of knowledge in many industries, growing up from a poor farmer's boy, going into military in his youth, venturing out to HK in the clothing / textile industry, and coming here, to this little town of Kuching, to bring the first and largest Waste Management Park to a world that didn't know better.  He was indeed one of a kind.  If he screws you for your mistake, he never did it in such a way that puts you down.  Instead, you feel like you owe it to him to do and be better.

We celebrated his 75th birthday at a big scale.  He loved his personalized gift; of him being the Godfather. 
And he cried as he read every single comment behind that photo.  He is a softy despite his toughness.
In Dec 2017, he stepped down from being Chairman to a semi retired Advisor.  He called himself semi-retired and he was only supposed to come to the office a couple of days a week and only for a few hours.  But, being the workaholic that he was, he still came in everyday and stayed on his normal working hours; 10am - 4pm.  I suspect, he was bored out of his mind and he just needed more people to talk to.  And I enjoyed him coming in.  


I penned this poem yesterday as my heart broke.  Even as we were weeping and mourning from a far, someone might be celebrating somewhere else... that's life.  That's the world.  That's "Today".
Mid 2018, he started to have health issues, starting with his eyes.  Multiple surgeries to both sides of the eyes and even when he was recovering, even when he was not supposed to expose his eyes to the sun, even when he was almost blind, he still came to the office.  Even when I needed to take his hand and lead him up and down the steps, he still refused to stay home.  That's how stubborn he is.  He is so independent and he will refuse any kind of help even when he couldn't see where to sign documents any more.  Then in May 2019, he went back to Germany to seek treatment for his eyes.  There, they found he had cancer.  He had a huge tumour on his pelvic and he had to undergo chemo treatment to shrink the tumour before removing it.  We rejoiced with the news that the surgery was successful.

Early Dec, some bosses who were on a business trip visited him in Germany came back reporting that he is well, that he was in good and high spirits.  But come mid December 2019, his health took a dip and deteriorate at such a fast pace that it scared us.  The cancer metastasized and it was coming back with a vengeance.  We knew the end was near when one of our local bosses who is the closest one to him was summon to visit him "before it was too late".  She went early January and just after a week, he asked her to leave, and 10 minutes into her journey to the airport, he passed on.


I love this photo.  It was taken during his 75th birthday.  Of me, cutting his birthday cake.  He knows I am a baker, and a mother, which according to him, makes me a better server.  So every time there's his cake to be cut, he will summon me and make sure I am the one doing it because my cuts are the neatest and the cleanest in his eyes.
Dear Jurgen... who am I supposed to exchange banter with about my weight now that you are gone?  Who am I supposed to make tea and coffee for?  Who would say that my coffee is the best coffee in Kuching?  Who am I supposed to peel and cut fruits for?  Who am I supposed to slice and serve their own sponsored birthday cake for?  Who would we drink and enjoy lovely beer, whiskey and wine with?  Who... am I supposed to fuss over with?  Who will guide and mould me to be the person you said you would?  Who?  Your office is ready for you to take the bulls at its horns, Sir.  I've updated all your documents, your calendar.  I've done spring cleaning to your ever spotless desk and office.

I miss you so dearly.  Remember when I texted you in August during our 20th Anniv Gala dinner? I told you that the Germany / Spain delegation had just arrived. And that our 20th anniversary doesn't seem to mean much without you being here with us.  I told you that WE MISS YOU SO MUCH!!! I told you to come home soon ❤❤❤

You were so sad and depressed for not being able to be here.  Despite that, we all had hoped that you would be well enough to make a trip home for our staff dinner in December.  Oh, how you would relish all the attention that you deserve on all those occasion Boss.  You, only you, deserved to be at the main table during our 20th Anniv Gala Dinner with all the Heads of the Government; those would knew that Kuching will not be as this clean of a Kuching, if it wasn't for you.

You are no longer suffering, and that is our only comfort.  We wished that we could give you a hug, and a kiss as we say our goodbyes.  Alas, you will be coming home soon... to a place you proudly call home.  You crazy AngMo... why would you want Kuching to be your final resting grounds, if it wasn't for your big heart for this land.  Come la.. come on home.  We are waiting for you with our broken hearts.  We love you Jurgen.  We truly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment