Thursday, July 28, 2011

Lemon Butter Cake

I blame it on my parents. I blame it on the way I've been brought up. I blame it on the satisfaction it feels when the deed is done. You see, I have been brought up with the idea that when someone gives you something, it needs to be reciprocated - a container is never returned empty, a favored always returned, a treat always countered.

So when on one sweet day, whilst standing at the PA&AV crew console area (where he memang always hang out - the only kid there), Noel was given a lemon, this "teaching" was passed down to him too. He's got to "give back" to the lemon-giver. Well, shhh.... don't tell Noel, but actually, I was just looking for reason to make this recipe! So on a Saturday, Noel got down to business. He was incharge of shifting the flour and grating the lemon zest.

The cake was baked and left overnight, as it said to do in the recipe and I made a small cupcake just to try (incase it didn't taste nice enough to give away!). To my horror, my cupcake tasted so sickly sweet. However, it was so wonderfully lemony that I risked giving it away anyways. So mom cut the cake beautifully into 3 portions and I packed them for Noel to distribute. We didn't want to give a big portion to just one family (what if they don't eat simple butter cake? what if they don't like lemon? blablabla), so packed to give away some to other "PA/AV crew family" as well.

With 3 portions, I actually had 1 pack extra and since I was busy and couldn't find any other family to "deposit" the cake to, I brought back one pack and it became my personal office snack time treat. Boy, oh boy!!! Was I glad on my decision to give the cakes away anyways coz it.was.heaven. Fresh lemony tartness countered the just-right-sweetness and the crunch of the lemon zest on top of the cake made the cake burst with lemon flavor with each bite.

The families we gave the cakes to were pleasantly surprised and send wonderful texts indicating how lovely the cake was. The problem is.... I've now received a few packets of coffee from them as thanks and me being me, I'm now scratching my head for the perfect coffee bake!!!

3 comments:

  1. wonderfull how it creats a chain kan....?i love it..! like the aunty next door...we give her something next day she comes with something and then it goes on n on...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dy, i already typed my comment the other day and realized sy buka pakai IE! i have to use modzilla baru dapat post sini!

    the coffee cake. just make butter cake batter and add coffee secukup rasa. good sudah. i love to use kopi yg ada taik in my coffee cake. cantik texture dia..

    this is a comment after the babi guy incident. pls let me tag along when you need a cashier ya? anytime. hahahha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenkays - this kind of circle if hard to come by... just gotta hang on to it. Just that day Frida was saying they're having mee goreng given by their neighbour whom they had had given some curry earlier... it's heart warming kan :)

    Togs - it's weird that my blog needs Godzilla to comment kan! But i've disabled the word verification. Hopefully after this IE pun can.

    No no... the coffee cake just gotta be something... different... ada one recipe - but need buttermilk... huhuh :(

    YES!!!! next time i need cashier, i will DEFINITELY ask u! heheheh... i masih mencari our babi guy!!

    ReplyDelete