Thursday, March 10, 2011

When death comes knocking at the door


I feel as if 20 years have been added on to my life all of the sudden. Rose and Rumi's mother was called to be with the Lord yesterday evening. That's after their father was called home about 2 years ago. All of the sudden, the decisions on what to do with the body, the transport arrangements back to Betong for the body and the family, the coffin, the ceremonies, the ministers etc fell on young shoulders.


This morning, we planned to take out the body at 8am and transport back to Betong ASAP. We waited and waited and waited for the office door to be opened - who knows we were waiting at the wrong door! note to self: For Kuching SGH, the "correct" door is Pejabat Forensik.


When we discovered the right door to the office, they couldn't find the deceased name!! How can it be? Then we suddenly spotted the daugther's name; who was supposed to be the claimant listed as the deceased! Goodness Gracious! note to self: If the person passes away at the hospital, the relative have to follow to the mortuary to "check in" and "check out".


Then came the "should we inject?" question. For the body to "last" - we must pay MYR300; and that will last for 3 days. They decided, no need. But when we went to see the body, because she died of internal illness, most organs has rotten out. So, MYR300. note to self: MYR300 is for 2 liters - not MYR100/day.


When I came out from the office, I heaved a sigh of relief to see my father there. With he not directly involved with church anymore, he rarely gets involved but I thank God he came. Such relief to know that there's an older person, who knows what to do and gives advice is present among us.


The body was dressed by hospital personnel and transfered into the coffin. note to self: a really big durable plastic helps as lining for the coffin. We had a small prayer outside the mortuary before the body and family left.


All these while, I've always said that I'm getting older. But while doing all the arrangement, it dawned on me, that REALLY, I AM. Before this, all I had to do was to be present there - at most was to lead the services. But now, I have to be part of the team who decides, arrange, and participate as key persons. The transition from the older generation to us, I must say, ain't easy. God help us.

3 comments:

  1. Yaup, I agree with you. We are old... And thanks for the notes. It's really helpful as I know someday we all will need to know these. Time flies and we are not young anymore. Things happen to fast, till I didn't realize sometime that we ARE now carrying the responsibilities. That's really reminds me that I'm a PARENT now and I gotta start "taking" over my parents ROLE And I need to learn to know all these including the funeral stuff. It has never been easy... but I trust God will lead a way for us. Once again.. thanks for sharing this with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... that's what I wanted to say really... that we ARE the ones carrying the responsibilities now... we'll do just fine after we knock our heads on many walls ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Dy!
    bikin takut ooo ni being older and assuming the responsibilities. its in the package of being older, ya?

    ReplyDelete