Thursday, February 27, 2020

Santubong Waterfall Easy 30 minutes Hike

I've never written about this trail in the blog.  As a matter of fact, I've never written about any trail in the blog, except for Mount Murud.  But I've uploaded in Insta numerous times.  Perhaps, because it's easier and faster to update on Insta.


After Murud, and after losing some weight, I find that I love going for hikes.  Easy hikes that is.  I've not been able to haul myself up to Mount Santubong peak yet... More because of mental fear (of physical challenge) than the actual hike itself.  It's all psychological.  It's all in the mind.



Another thing that Noel and I love is a water body.  Whatever it is, sea, river, lake but most definitely, waterfall.  Whenever we can, we become #waterfallchasers.


However, to get to a waterfall, one must be ready to hike, at least to a certain degree.  Some are easy climbs compared to others.  I am thankful to have ventured out to this waterfall at Santubong mountain.  It's an easy hike of about 30 minutes, my speed.  We have to cross some river and hike up a certain gradient, but I'd say it's a pretty easy climb.  Even my 5 year old niece managed!  (albiet being piggy backed for some).


What we love doing at the waterfall?  Aside from cooling down / swimming, we always try to make sure we've got rice and some meat and we'd eat!!  It's pretty awesome to be able to enjoy food in the cool water flow with the sound of the rushing water and green nature surrounding you.  Simply refreshing!  (I need to dig out some photos from previous hike / makan trip).


We normally will not bring change of clothes on our back when we hike here.  We'd just leave it in the car.  Hike here, take off the outer layer, jump in, soak, jump out, put back on our outer layer clothes and hike out.  Change clothes when we get back to the car.  Sometimes, we'd just drive home in our towels!


We'd typically spend about an hour soaking.  So the journey will be 30 minutes drive to Santubong, 30 minutes hike in, 1 hour soak, 20 minutes hike out and 30 minutes drive home.  Because of the short distance / hike, sometimes, this is a very much impromptu place for us.  Sometimes on a Saturday morning, we'd hike in at 9am to have breakfast at the fall.  Sometimes, we'd hike in on Sunday afternoons after church, have our "tea" there, then hike back out.  Sometimes, if the timing is right, we'd drive to Damai Central to catch the sunset after the hike.


This guy doesn't really like hiking these days.  So I have to lure him with food.  But once he reaches the fall, he'd be in his element and he will be telling himself, "see, it ain't that hard of a hike" or "see, the hike was totally worth it".  


We always have the best conversations here, being one with nature.  Actually, come to think of it, we'd have our best conversations anywhere! I might not have him with me any longer as he spread his wings to fly out of the nest.  I hope he goes away to study, even if it will be hard on my pocket.  But I pray that he will always be able to still talk to me, just like he is able to now... 

No comments:

Post a Comment