Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Forty

I turned 40 yesterday.  17 December 2018.  I am not big when it comes to celebrating my own birthday, because it usually involves me, having to spend money, feeding others on the pretext of celebrating my birthday.  In order not to "hassle" anyone with having to pay for the meal, I'd rather just skip any celebration.  And one week before Christmas is a great escape plan, because it will mean that I will be very busy with this and that activities (or I can "coincidentally" be busy on that day)



But this year, to celebrate my 40th, I decided to splurge.  To be alone.  To sit and reflect.  To just be.



So, I checked myself in to Hilton Kuching, with a room facing the river.  Given, our Sarawak River is known for the trademark milk-tea colour, it was still lovely to just sit by the window and get lost in one's own thoughts.  I had to do some translation works (long over-due), so that explains the laptop. 


That night, after McD's dinner with Noel, I got myself a big bottle of beer (because there isn't any small bottle of wine), some choc, some roasted pork and I continued my hibernation in the luxurious room.  Hilton never fails.  Even if it's 30 years old.  I had wanted to work on my translation a bit more, but with all that food and booze, I went to sleep rather early, waking up at 11.59 to have my last glass of beer, some chocs and to say a prayer for the coming years.  Then of course, in the coziness of it all, I promptly went back to bed.


The next morning, I tried to get up from the heaven of a bed and down to the restaurant by 8.30am.  One needs to maximize the time given to eat you see.  If possible I'd wanna be there at 6.30am - 10.30am!  Haha!  Pig!  I have always loved Hilton's breakfast spread.  And I always will try to have it every birthday.  Usually, I would stay at Tune hotel across the road and come morning, I just cross over for my annual super expensive breakfast.  Somehow, it give me that relaxed feel, just sitting alone facing the window, slowly watching the (hot) world go by outside... and having a good start would set the tone for the rest of the day.


A long time ago, Hilton was an affordable venue for my family to have our special days celebration.  Their breakfast was still RM30-ish, and their dinner RM50-ish.  Up till one year, when Mother's Day dinner went up to RM75, I found that I no longer was able to take mom and dad there anymore.  I wonder how mom and dad did it though, they always took my brother and I for dinners there when we were small.  Tsk tsk... 


So what did I come out with after the few hours alone?  Here is the list... for my own keep-in-check and for your reading pleasure...

1.  Financial:
-  to keep 10% of monthly salary as non-touchable savings
-  if I need money for travelling etc, that will need to be in another "saving" scheme.

2.  Work
-  to be more productive (instead of reading blogs and blogging during work hours!)
-  to complete and improve Admin P&P for my company in 2019.

3.  Health
-  To exercise at least 3 times / week
-  To eat healthily (i.e. cut down on white carbs, eat more veg and fruit, less fatty meat)
*note:  I realized with age, I am already doing this.  During the breakfast (and a few other hotel breakfast recently), I took more than 3 servings of fruit and still wanting.  They are delicious and so refreshing!  And when pork is cooked at home, I realized i need to side step the fatty parts as I am not able to swallow them!  gasp!  Horror!
-  To do intermitten fasting once / week (16:8)

4.  Ministy
-  to intentionally put in more energy and effort into Tadika Ministry as a Chairperson for the last 2 years.  Not avoid issues by sweeping them under the carpet and avoiding those involved in the ministry.

5.  Spiritually
-  to do more devotions - i) with Noel ii)  take up new devo material:  CFC?  Disciple Red?  1 chapter/ day?
*note:  I have yet gotten this figured out - to find something that would work.
-  to do Wesleyan fast once / week.  From Thursday night till Friday night.

6.  Self-improvement
-  to go for a baking / cake deco course
-  to go for a proper swimming class so that I can swim properly
-  to learn how to cycle
-  to read at least one book / month




Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  Psalm 90:42


After checking out in the afternoon, we went to pick up the Kiddo's result.  He asked me if I really wanted to see his result on my birthday.  I told him that no matter what, it's done.  And no matter what, I am proud of him because he tried and did his best.  And no, his results did not spoil my birthday at all.  Not a single bit.  I am still ever proud of him.  Always.


2 comments:

  1. Saya akan buat begini for my birthday this year!

    Happy turning 40 Dy.

    You can put in your next entry 'i taught aunty i gigil, i gigil driving in january, she's still nervous about driving. but, she's progressing'. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masih blog-walking juga ko ah... hehehe... yes, please do this for your birthday. I am even tempted to do it every year!

      Yes, sila tunggu itu entry bertajuk "i gigil, i gigil". haha

      Delete