Monday, August 17, 2015

An attempt to forget

This is a feeble attempt to take my mind out of matters of the heart.  And my heart is stuck in Ba Kelalan / Murud and is refusing to come back to Kuching with me.  Been only 3 weeks since we came back, but the longing seems like 3 years gone!

Annnnyyyywayyyysssss...

This year, Noel had to stay back in school for extra classes in the afternoon for his UPSR.  That means, he will need to eat lunch in school.  Then, last year, a tuition centre came up just across the road from his school, so I thought, he can just walk over to tuition and I can concentrate on work (or the lack of it) till evening.  That's when his daily schedule became :  6 am - 12.30 noon (school), 12.30 - 1 lunch break, 1 - 2.30pm school extra class, 2.30 - 4.30pm tuition class, 4.30 - 5pm break, 5 - 6pm tuition homework class (they help with homework).

Because of this, I have had the opportunity to plan his lunches and make them early in bulk so all I need to do it thaw them the night before and his lunch is ready by morning... this is to document some of the things I made...
The classic easiest one of course if bolognese sauce.  Just one can of prego can make 4 "healthy" portions.
Ingredients: Minced meat, button mushroom, carrot, big onion, prego bolognese sauce.

One of the complicated lunches.  Chicken Cordon Bleu.
Chicken thigh fillet flatten to make it easier to roll, top up with ham (i used turkey) and swiss cheese. Roll it tightly together, secure with toothpick, dip into egg wash and roll into breadcrumbs and bake.
I try as much as I can to ensure that he gets some veg or fruit in his lunches.  Because of the amount of protein in some meals, I don't think he need that much carb.  I normally serve the Cordon Bleu with coleslaw and baked mashed potatoes.
Noel loves Loh Mai Kai.  But it's soooooo expensive these days.  Plus most are not nice at all!  So better DIY
Glutinous rice, chicken pieces and mushroom.  I omitted the chinese sausages (lap cheong) because I thought there was already too much meat.  Big mistake.  It would have complimented the taste and these wasn't enough meat!
I would roast chicken in the basic marinate - whatever I can find in the fridge.  Roasted chicken is one of the most versatile meat!  I can serve it with rice or potato or in this case, I slice it up and make it into a wrap.  Noel likes this veg, so I normally pile that in as well.  But, no tomatoes for him! 
This is how I keep them.  Either in container or a plastic bag, all are labelled so I will know which one to consume first.
Loh Mai Kai frozen one each.  This can be his breakfast too.  Lunch he will have more than 1.
I also make burger patties - normally pork.  Then I make burger buns and freeze those too.  I don't have the photo of the bun.  After thawing I will only need to assemble the burger.
So there you go!  Some of the things I prepare before hand for Noel's lunches.  Of course it would take some time to make these especially on the weekends, but it made my life so much easier during the weekdays.  And it makes me feel good, knowing what he is eating.  Sometimes, when we are all lazy to cook and need food fast, we too will eat these.

1 comment:

  1. im starting on my lunchbox next year dy!!
    excited! excited!

    ReplyDelete