Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Some of my fav places to eat in Kuching - part 1

Humans are creatures of habits, aren't we not?  So am I.  I'd return to the same place over and over again.  I don't really like trying new places, in case it's a waste of my calories.  So, here' some places I like to go to eat in Kuching.

Morgan Pork Soup
When I was in Selangor, I "worked" in this a small Christian bookstore.  "worked" because I spend more than I earn, just to get to work!  And one of the luxury I let myself have is KL pork noodle soup.  I love Kuching's kolo mee version of Kueh Tiaw Soup, but some days, I just miss the KL style pork soup.  And I was glad when I saw this here.  It's one of the best rendition of the noodles.

This stall has been serving pork soup since a long time ago, but I've never heard of it till it moved to its current location; Geylang Kopitiam.  Its always very full of patrons that you need to share tables (which I have no problem with).  But with the current covid-19 situation, no worries about overcrowded places.  If you come later, just be prepared to wait.  We like to reach this place by 7.30am and immediately place our orders.  The first serving is at 8am.

Huge CHUNKS of minced pork, thin slices of meat and cubes of pork skin with your choice of noodles - the most popular, being small, slippery, kueh tiaw.  The bone broth comes from hours of boiling; not from MGS.  You can request to add egg, which is nicely done, not too soft; and definitely not hard boiled.  Don't forget to top up generously with cili.

This kopitiam has great kopi peng and teh C peng too.  Very kaw.


IPH Roasted Cafe Kuching

This is our go to place for roasted meat.  We love all the pork roasts - sio bak, char siew as well as the ribs.  The duck is great too.  Roasted chicken?  Same like others I reckon.  Business goes on well into lunch, but some of the popular meat (especially the ribs), will be gone by then.  We being kiasu, like to go at 8.30 / 8.45am to get the best cuts.  Noel likes the noodles here.  It's the closest resemblance to KL's wanton mee (but not quite).  Definitely no green pickled chili.

This is another kopitiam with great Kopi Peng and teh C Peng.

Kenyalang Wet Market Kuching - Tomato Kueh Tiaw

Seems that I like kueh tiaw eh?  I'd think so too :)  I like my tomato k.tiaw like this.  Not too thick.  Not too sour.  Mild, with sweet and sour taste.  My must have?  Slices of Char Siew.  And with Chili and vinegar poured on top.  There are only 3 places in Kuching that I know of that sales like this - Hui Sing Hawker Center (only opens at night), Bintawa market (too far to go) and Kenyalang Market.

Hui Sing is where the stalls that I grew up with serves now, so that's a given why it's my favorite.  I used to work in Bintawa area, so that's how I know the one in Bintawa and Kenyalang - because I go for my fortnightly wet marketing there (as an adult).  I am usually very early, so after getting all my supplies, I will go up to the next floor for self reward.  The place used to be jam-packed with the early risers (read:  Ah Kong and Ah Ma).  But with the social distancing regulation, some tables has been blocked.

Go to stall No. 37 Hap Hap Hin for Tomato K.Tiaw / Cripsy Noodles.

Go to stall No. 17 Ngiap Kiang for Fried Noodles - please order Mee & K.Tiaw campur, masin, pedas.  Be ready to wait.  He prepares and fries his noodles religiously.

There's another stall with good porridge and good coffee - I'll update the numbers / name when I go there next.  There's other things to eat too - cucur pisang (my fav overriped pisang tanduk), yu cha kueh, a huge variety of kuehs etc).

I come here at 5ish in the morning.  They are opened from 4am till lunch.

Ah... last but not least on today's post... 

Wood Lam Cafe (old immigration) 

This is another place we grew up with.  There used to be a laksa stall that serves, to me, the best laksa in town during that time.  But one of the daughters got into trouble with loan sharks and they had to close up.  A sad day for many of us.

The kueh chap here is good, mild in taste, with a kick of sambal.  Pre-MCO, we had to wait HOURS (well, about 30 - 45 mins), for this bowl of goodness.  But now, it doesn't take as long.  But don't expect to have this "early".  He usually drives in at 7.15 and sets up, maybe ready to serve at 7.30, though his signage says 7am.  He is very particular with his cuts and do not cut ahead of time, and he does it meticulously.  So yes, the wait is painful, with a sweet ending once you put it in your mouth.

But thank God, whilst waiting, you can curb your hunger with this!  This is THE BEST cha kueh tiaw in my books.  Smallish cubes, with crunchy sides.  The usual radish cakes outside are usually huge cubes, all soggy, but these although it looks too "broken" are absolutely delish.  There are surprising bites of tang chai, lots of eggs and tonnes of crunchy ends.  I have no patients to pick it bit by bit, so I usually just use whatever spoon I have on hand to gobble it up.

The uncle who serves this now has knee pain from the long hours of standing.  Now he sits on a high stool to fry these beautiful golden morsel.

We usually get here by 7am, the cha kueh would be ready to serve by 6.30am.  Serves decent coffee.  Kopi-O peng is nice too.  Not too kaw, not too pok (thin).

As you can see, these food I've mentioned are the food / taste that I grew up with.  Some will need me to wait (for up to an hour), but still, once the craving is there, there's not turning back.  I normally will just endure the wait with a happy smile on my face :)

Till my next entry of fav food in Kuching!

No comments:

Post a Comment