Thursday, November 29, 2018

Penang Duo Trip, November 2018. Day 1

Tt's been ages since I wrote anything in this blog... pitiful, but well, instagram is a much faster mean these days...

Anyways, wanted to write down in specifics of what we did... or more like what we ate in Penang this 22 - 25 Nov 2018)... for own memory as well as reference... to humour myself when I think or read back 2 years down the road... 


Day 1... we arrived Penang at 11am, 30 minutes ahead of schedule... hurrah!  Then we took a grab down to Little India, where our hotel Charlie's Budget Hotel was located.  Checked in, and changed to our shorts and our gastronomic adventure begins with... NASI KANDAR of course!  3 minutes away from the Hotel was Restaurant Tajuddin Hussain.  As we were there before lunch hour, we had no problem securing a table.  Whilst the food was good, it didn't quite satisfy us (as would Nasi Kandar Line Clear proved to, later in the trip).  After lunch, we walked to Chowrasta Market as we wanted to shop for some Indian shirts, but couldn't find any.  The walk made us thirsty, what else would be a better thirst quencher than Ais Tingkap?  We preferred the lemon version.  Absolutely refreshing.  Whether or not you are taking away or sitting down, you have to queue to give them your order.  I queued for 5 minutes, and waited about 10 minutes for the drinks to come.  

Then we walked to Penang Road for its famous Chendul.  YUMSSSSS. Thick mixture of coconut milk and gula melaka with huge fat red bean and slippery chendul.  Again, you have to queue, but it was fast moving.  Noel wanted to sit inside the coffee shop, but I didn't want to be in the heat, so we just stood around and slurped away.  What brought us to Perangin Mall @ Komtar I wonder?  Oh, ya... now I remember... when I go to WM, I usually will try to look for Auntie Anne's pretzels... and I remembered that I saw a branch here in Perangin Mall... alas! I remembered wrongly... they did not have any branch there.  But we came across A&W, of course we had to have the Draught Root Beer float with 2 scoops of Ice Cream.  Yummy.  We were leaving the mall, when I saw the advertisement of Texas Chicken's Honey Butter biscuits.  I think I saw some Ig-ers who praised the biscuit, so I wanted to try.  Got both the honey butter and the choc chip.  Both were... "acceptable".  Crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside.  Boleh lah... 

Then we walked back to Charlie's... about 20 minutes walk and on the way, we came across Hong Kee Whan Tun Mee.  I love KL wantan noodles, and I can't seem to get it here in Kuching.  Since it was on my list of food to eat, we decided to just dropby.  The noodles are made by pressing with bamboo, but since we were there in the evening, there weren't any fresh noodles in the making. Go google it, you will see what I mean.  The noodles were the fine type, we enjoyed the side order of char siew but the noddles didn't hit that "spot" on my tastebuds.  It was nice alright, we loved the soup that came with it, it's just not the taste that I have been missing.  

We went back to the hotel, showered, (I) took a nap and then we went out again for umpteenth "dinner".  Walked all the way to Hameediyah Restaurant for another round of nasi kandar.  Ordered ayam bawang, mutton kurma and beef murtabak.  There's no photo of the nasi briyani, but let me tell you... it was absolutely divine.  The "lauk", passable.  Nothing that got us excited.  The renown murtabak... hmmmm.... maybe noel and I aren't murtabak fan, so it was OK for us.  We only tried a little and tabao-ed the rest back.  And then... we walked some more to... Sup Hameed.  Given the specialty of the shop is soup, I figured we can easily have that for "supper".  So, supper it was.  The Sup Kambing was excellent.  A myriad of spices taste and was absolutely divine eaten with the bread that comes with it.  

Then we walked back to the hotel, about 25 minutes walk dropping by for some fresh fruit from a food truck.  Arrived hotel as it began to rain.  Slept at about 9pm, as tomorrow we need to start early to head to Tanjung Bungah for a fun filled adventure.

Total steps:  21K.  Total km walked: 17km

No comments:

Post a Comment